Kumarakom is a village on Vembanad Lake in the backwaters of Kerala, southern India. It’s laced with canals, where houseboats ply the waters. Kumarakom Bird Sanctuary is home to many species including cuckoos and Siberian storks. Nearby, the Bay Island Driftwood Museum displays wooden sculptures. In the lake, Pathiramanal Island is a haven for rare migratory birds. Ancient Thazhathangady Mosque is east of Kumarakom.
Munnar is situated near the Anaimudi Peak, the highest peak in the Western Ghats at an altitude of 2,695 meters (842 feet) from the sea level. Munnar’s sprawling tea gardens with tall trees jutting out of sharp cliffs, and a plethora of wildflowers in a riot of colors, make it look like a painterâs canvas.
Drive around and explore the points of sightsee. Watch little wisps of clouds drift past you and shroud the tea estate that was conspicuous only a while ago. All along you will be serenaded by the sound of gurgling brooks or waterfalls seeping through narrow rocks. Pause on the way, maybe to buy farm fresh carrots from a hawker or small souvenir shops selling wooden artifacts and a range of authentic spices. Photographic opportunities abound here.
|Day1||Cochin to Cherai||Arrive Cochin Airport / Railway Station. Transfer to Cherai (35 kms / 1 hour). Arrive and check in to Hotel, after noon visit nearby prawn farm, Munambam beach etc.|
|DAY 2||Cherai to Kumarakom||– After early breakfast checkout from hotel and drive to Kumarakom / Alleppey (100 kms / 2.30 – 3 hrs) the backwater destinations of Kerala. if interested do Cochin Sightseeing on the way, interesting places to see are St Francis Church, Fort Cochin, Chinese fishing nets, Dutch Palace, Jewish Synagogue, Jew street etc.
– Arrive and check in to Houseboat which is also called as Kettuvallom (the boat will ready around 1200 hrs) and begin your journey through the picturesque backwaters and small lakes of Kerala. Your houseboat has bedrooms with attached toilet, a dining area cum sit out. There will be 3 accompanying staff in the boat. One driver, one helper and one cook.
– Lunch, Evening Tea, Snacks and Dinner will be cooked and served on board by the accompanying cook. In AC Boat AC is installed in bedroom and it will switch on from 9 pm to 6 am only.
– Overnight at Houseboat.
|DAY 3||Kumarakom to Munnar||– Morning after breakfast houseboat drop you at nearest jetty around 0900 hrs where our car and driver wait for you, later drive to Munnar (approx. 190 KM / 4 -5 hrs).
– Munnar is one of the most famous hill station situated on the Western Ghats at the height of 1600 metres above the sea level.
– It is essentially a tea town – miles of unending tea plantation can be seen here.
– En route see Cheeyappara, Valara waterfalls, Spice plantations, Rubber Plantations, etc…
– Arrive and check into the hotel, rest of the day at Leisure.
|DAY 4||Munnar||– After breakfast proceed for Munnar sightseeing. Morning visit Eravikulam National Park which is also known as Rajamala, the natural habitat of Nilgiri Thar. Nilgiri Thar can be observed very closely here (you have to walk some time to see the animal – look like goat, not advisable to go if it is rainint).
– Afternoon visit Mattupetty dam, Echo point and Kundala Lake. Boating facilities are available at Mattupetty Dam and Kundala Lake. While coming back visit flower garden. Evening free for shopping.
– Overnight at hotel
Optional Activities at Munnar :
|DAY 5||Munnar to Kochi||– After breakfast checkout from hotel and drive down to Cochin Airport or Railway station (around 3.30 – 4 hrs drive)|